Feudal Assembly

Goleşti manor was built in 1640 by Stroe Leurdeanul with the aid of Stoica Craftsmen from Târgovişte, is the only building layed-fortified from the country. Knowing that those times were dangerous, Stroe is surrounding the manor with high brick walls and on the defense towers installed cannons. Thick walls, the frame floor, the monumentality, and its elegance too, prefigure the emergence of the builders of Brancoveanu’s period. In 1646 Stroe Leurdeanu built also the church located near the museum, that finely combines the Wallachian influences with those from Moldavia, Armenia and the Middle East. The fortification walls of the mansion include the buttresses and battlements and has a rectangular shape, presenting in many corners round brick tower, in which, on a wooden platform, the soldiers could stay in firing position.The Memorial Museum Department includes "Free Public School” founded by the great scholar Dinicu Golescu. He gave the chance to the poor children around the manor to learn alongside the rich. Textbooks were free and for the first time the girls were received to learn with the boys. It was the first modern school with teaching in Romanian language and worked from 1826 until 1830. In the school they are exposed pieces of furniture and textbooks from the period of Spiru Haret. Near it, there is the Tudor Vladimirescu’s watch-tower used for monitoring the surroundings. In this place he lived his last days of life between 18 and 21 May 1821. Withdrawing from Bucharest towards the oltenian mountains, Tudor installed the military camp at Goleşti, having good relations with the Golescu boyars, Unfortunately, here he fell victim to a plot staged both by members of Eteria and by some of his pandours. Dissatisfied with his severe attitude against any act of indiscipline. Captured by the people of Alexandru Ipsilanti, was taken to Targovişte to be judged, but on the road he has been murdered, his body being thrown into a well. Near the tower there is the ancient infirmery (now it shelters a space for temporary exhibitions), shelter for the aged, sick and poor people. It was founded by the great Ban (noble) Radu Golescu and maintained at its expense. Near the manor there is the Golescu’s park, where there was a pond crossed by a bridge of birch wood, a pavilion and stone statues, after the fashion of the time. Free-air Departement, covers an area of about 12 hectares and has constituted more than 30 farms. The reason for the organization of this museum derives from the importance of viticulture and pomiculture on the teritory of Argeş county. The museum comprises two main sectors, which are also two ways of exhibition solving: A Free-Air sector, showing the peasant civilization from the mid nineteenth century from the main viticulture and pomiculture areas of the country. The Pavilion Sector, designed to present by the authentic objects and specific auxiliary elements, the history of viticulture and pomiculture from our country since ancient ages until the present days, including, obviously, and prospects of development for this two occupations. The most important sector of the museum are the peasant farms brought from the main viticulture and pomiculture areas of the country, grouped as a Romanian village. Each viticultural or fruit-growing household, includes within it both a dwelling house all annexes and specific work tools, and those necessary to various occupations: agriculture, breeding, bee culture.