The reign of Alexandru Ioan Cuza (1859-1866) can be considered the crucial moment in which the Romanian society assumes the coordinates of the Western European modernity. In 1864 was approved the first Law on Public Instruction, which regulated in a modern manner, the organization and functioning of the educational system in Romania. Education has faced for decades many difficulties: lack of schools, lack of money to build school buildings, lack of specialized staff for teaching, parents’ reluctance to send their children to learn, lack of textbooks and materials for the teaching. 1896 was an important year in the history of the education in Romania. In that year, the School House was set up to raise funds for the construction of schools, especially in rural areas where the literacy rate was very low. Regulations and instructions have been drawn up regarding the orientation of the edifices, their dimensions and the materials from which they were to be built. These schools built at the end of the 19th century and the first decade of the 20th century are called “Spiru Haret schools”, after the name of the one who identified himself with the destiny of the Romanian school. The village school from Comăneşti (Bacau County) is a typical example for this period of great development of the education system. At the main façade, we notice the ornament of the porch, with motif of the owl, the symbol of wisdom.